Tips & Tricks
This Page is dedicated to providing you with pointers and tricks to help you get the best out of your 3D printer products! If you have any new tips that we need to include, please do contact us and we will get them added!
The FilaFlex is so elastic that you can’t put much pressure on it for it to extrude. This results in either very thin print or the filament coming out of the side of the feed mechanism inside the extruder.
To get the FilaFlex to load, you need to add spacers on the extruder spring - see photo below- to allow a bit of slippage and stop the filament being misdirected on the inside.
Once you have the filament loaded up, you need to print really slowly - 15mm/s gives a good result at 235C.
3D Lac Adhesive Spray
- Use generously on the build plate to prevent warping during printing.
- If your printer has a removable build plate, you can place your print in the fridge to cool down and the print will lift off the plate very easily.
- You can also use washing up liquid and warm water to remove the print and clean the plate.
- MakerBot offer an Acrylic Build Plate which can be removed from the machine and then flexed to remove prints from the build plate.
- After printing, use Isopropanol to clean the plate and then re-apply the 3D Lac ready for the next print.
Ways to Prevent Warping
- MakerBot Provide compatible build plate tape for their build plates. See MakerBot Spares
- If you are printing a large piece on the Hephestos or Prusa i3, e.g. a large box, a heated bed is recommended and will reduce the chance of warpage.
- If you are using a heated bed:
-The best temperature to use is around 85C, this will mean that the print will stick to the Fixpad well but it will also be relatively easy to remove the print.
MODIFI3D 3D Print Fixing Tool
Step by Step:
- Remove the protective cap (if used) and place MODIFI3D on the included stand.
- Plug in the USB (USB 2.0 or 3.0 recommended).
- Touch the metal switch to start heating. A red light indicates that MODIFI3D is switched on.
- In less than 15 seconds MODIFI3D will reach around 300ºC (572ºF) and is ready for use. To increase the temperature or reach the maximum of 420-450ºC (788-842ºF) continue to touch the metal switch until the required temperature is reached.
- If MODIFI3D is not used for 25 seconds it will go into sleep mode (light will go out and the tip will start to cool). To wake MODIFI3D just gently touch the switch and the heating process will continue.
- Always unplug the USB if MODIFI3D is not being used.
Quick Change Tips:
- To change tips unplug the USB and allow to cool fully.
- Unscrew the locking nut and pull out the tip
- Push the replacement tip in fully and tighten the locking nut
- Plug in the USB... Easy!
For more tips on this product, visit the MODIFI3D Website